Pages

Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Why My Head is Kind Of Spinning

I feel like ever since we've gotten back from Minnesota my head has been spinning. First it was from getting us unpacked, settled in, getting laundry done, and trying to get us back in our routine. But not only that, December is the month of a MILLION BAJILLION events that I have to either organize, attend, do something for, or buy something for.  I looked at my calendar and just sighed. I absolutely love being busy but I will admit, I think this mama took on a little too much! But 'tis the season and I'm going to embrace the fact the days are going by quickly, we're that much closer to Brian being home (I'll have help with all of this madness!), and we're getting in the holiday spirit.  And I shouldn't complain for one second..I put all of this on myself. Like this:

I decided to try Elf on the Shelf this year. Brady named him Sparkle. And he's very clear that it's not Sparkles, it's Sparkle. And he's not sure what to think of it. I think he's a little freaked out by it, but I don't really blame him.

I'm not all about the naughty elf stuff so I'm into more tame and easy things like making the elf read a story and make snowballs. The things I do for these children! :)

I also took the kids to go look at Christmas lights. It was nice out one evening so we walked with a friend and looked at these cool displays.

My friend knew them so, no, we weren't just letting our kids trespass onto other's property!  And yeah, the whole lights on my house didn't happen this year (I'll blame the deployment on this one, I'm not a fan of heights and hanging stuff in cold weather) but we're enjoying everyone else's!

Afterwards, Brady sipping hot chocolate like he's been doing it for years.

I also put up some Christmas decor ignore the toys surrounding it and Brian admiring the tree). I put up our small tree this year because I'll be honest, putting up our large 7 foot extra wide-takes- you -hours -and -hours- to put -together -tree didn't sound appealing for me to do by myself. So the small tree it is! Aaand I haven't quite decided if I'm going to put ornaments on there yet because I'm not sure I can trust Layla.

Plus we'll be in Minnesota for Christmas so less is more, right? Here's our little tree by our deployment calendar.

I also got, addressed, put together, and mailed all of our Christmas cards.  So if you're just dying to have a Ross family Christmas card, let me know, I can send you one! :)


I also did the whole mail a letter to Santa and have it postmarked by the North Pole thing

Brady opening his letter during his post-nap snack.

His letter back from Santa. His reply, "Oh good, so I'll be getting Thomas stuff." Little stinker.

I've also been doing an Advent calendar with the kids. Each morning we move the little present to the correct day and then open the corresponding letter. Today's was "read the story about Jesus's birth". Others include opening a new book, baking cookies for friends and delivering them, a day where we do good deeds for others, Christmas crafts, and many more.  And I know this picture doesn't match up but we already opened today's letter! And yes, I am crazy but I just love doing traditions and seeing the looks on their face when we do fun things like this.

And finally last but not least, this little miss is sleeping HORRIBLY lately. My good little sleeper, where have you gone?! This was us at midnight last night. She just didn't want to sleep and after letting her cry for a good long while I just finally gave in and gave her some snuggles. I read there's an 18 month sleep regression.  Perhaps that combined with the fact she's getting all 4 of her canines explains why we're getting no sleep? At least she's napping well.  Hopefully we'll get back on track here soon!

 I'm off to go move the elf, wrap some gifts, and get me some rest!  Please tell me I'm not the only one's whose head is spinning this month?!

7 comments:

Jenny @ Creatively Blooming said...

Have fun with your elf! Our kids love ours! We're on our third year though, and I'm starting to run out of ideas...

Janelle Cook said...

It sounds like you have a crazy month ahead of you, but those little cuties surely make it fun! :) I'm glad Brian will be home soon!

Traci@TheHallway said...

Holy crazy busy!! But I hear ya, I have been go-go-go and today I finally have a little bit of time to actually sit and relax. But like you said, tis the season! :) We do the elf with Charli and did it last year with her too (clearly more for us since she was 5 months old) haha! We don't do anything naughty either, just cute/fun things! Hope you get a little down time and that Layla starts sleeping again :( I think Charli started cutting her canines a few weeks ago too...

whit | Black Little Button blog said...

awe! i love the elf on the shelf, and i can't wait to start that tradition!
-whit

Becky Dougherty said...

I love Elf on the Shelf! My student teacher bought me one to use with my first graders last year. I'm missing teaching first grade at holiday time. 6th graders don't exactly by into the Elf on the Shelf thing. :(

Sarah said...

I can't decide how I feel about E.o.t.S. I can't look at his face for too long without being slightly creeped out, but everyone says their kids love finding him. At least I have a few more years to decide if I love my children enough to start that tradition. ;)

The Chick Nest said...

Yes oh yes this month is CrAzy! Love your elf ideas! Cute pics from our christmas light walk, too! Fun memories!

Post a Comment

 
Content The Ross Family | Design Poppiness Designs