Pages

Tuesday, December 31, 2013

2013 Recap


Man this year just completely flew by. It seems like it was just June and yet here we are checking off another year in the books. 2013 was a pretty great year, not too many complaints! ;) I don't know why some of this post is highlighted either...add in there learn more about HTML to my New Year's resolutions! ;)

What were your highlights of 2013?

Brian became an Aircraft Commander
Brady turned 3!
Layla turned 1!
Layla started walking, talking, and growing hair
I finally weaned Layla after nursing her for 14 months
Brady became potty trained!
We traveled to Minnesota countless times, went to Mississippi for a wedding, North Dakota for Brian's brother's wedding, and all of the states in between.
I started blogging a lot more and have "met" so many great people
Brady started preschool and matured so much
I started running and ran 3 5ks and met my goal of running a 10k!
I turned 28
We survived and (dare I say we thrived during?) deployment #4
I became a MOPs(mothers of preschoolers) table leader and key spouse in the squadron
My friendships with the lovely ladies here grew leaps and bounds
We had lots of visitors and enjoyed spending time with family
We got to all be together for Christmas 2013

Did you keep your New Year's resolutions and will you make more for next year?
I never really make New Year's resolutions but I guess a goal I made for myself mid-year was to start running (because I hated it and wanted to push myself) and to finish some 5k and 10k races and that I did! I think for next year I won't make concrete goals but want to make more of an effort to spend quality time with Brian and go on more dates. I also want to do more running and hopefully run another 10k. And spruce up this 'ol blog!

Did anyone close to you give birth this year?
Several close friends had babies this year and many will have them next year as well!

Did anyone close to you die?
No one close to us died this year but there were far too many deaths from Brian's class at the AF Academy, one that just occurred a couple days ago. Each day, each flight, and each deployment I count my blessings and praise God that I get more time to spend with him. It may sound dramatic but it's the truth.

What countries did you visit?
Just the good 'ol U S of A!

What would you like to have in 2014 that you didn't have in 2013?
A shiny nice new camera! :)

What dates from 2013 are etched in your memory, and why?
The day Brian got back from his deployment because it was such a joyous day

What was your biggest achievement this year?
Definitely finishing a 10k. I hate to run and it was a pretty big deal that I stayed committed in training for and finished it!

What was your biggest failure?
Probably not being present enough. I feel like I'm being pulled in so many different directions that I need to work more on being in the moment with my kids. Putting the phone down, turning the tv off, leaving the housework and just simply enjoying time with my children because they're only this little once.

What's the best thing you ate?
I have no clue!  Maybe something from Dunkin Donuts since they just built one literally blocks away from our house? That makes me sound so chubby.

What's the best thing you bought?
Gifts for the babies this Christmas. This was the first year Brady really had a wish list and it was so fun to see him light up. And Layla really enjoyed Christmas this year too. 

What did you get really, really excited about?
Having my blog win one of the top 25 military mom blogs on Circle of Moms!

What do you wish you'd done more of?
Hired a babysitter and gone on more dates with Brian

Compared to this time last year are you: a)richer or poorer? b)happier or sadder? c) thinner or fatter?

a. Richer?
b. Happier because I'm doing more for myself this year
c. Thinner but working on being fatter from these holidays!

Did you fall in love in 2013?
I fall in love more every day with Brian. Awwhhh

What was your favorite tv program?
It probably would have been the Office which sadly ended this year. Otherwise I'm a stupid reality tv junkie and hate admitting it.

How did you spend Christmas?
In Minnesota with our families and then back in Omaha with just us.

What did you do on your birthday and how did you celebrate?
Brian had sadly just left for his deployment but we got to celebrate a couple days early.  On the actual day we went to the Apple Orchard with our deployment buddies and had a fabulous little dinner party here with friends. I turned 28 or celebrated my 10th anniversary of turning 18, either one.

How would you describe your personal concept of 2013?
Trying?  Kind of trying to be more fashionable. Yeah that's it.

What kept you sane?
My husband, my friends, preschool, and parent's day out!

Tell me a valuable lesson you learned in 2013.
Tomorrow isn't guaranteed so live your life, count your blessings, make sure your feelings are known, and love like there's no tomorrow. 

Goodbye 2013, thanks for the good memories, here's to 2014 and even more!

8 comments:

Becky Dougherty said...

It sounds like you had a great 2013! Wishing you and your family a very happy 2014! :)

Traci@TheHallway said...

Wishing you and your family the happiest of New Years!!!!! 2013 looked like an amazing year!

Anonymous said...

Happy new year! It sounds like 2013 was pretty good... I hope 2014 is even better for you guys!

Jenn said...

Mmmmm Dunkin Donuts.....

;)

Happy New Year, Rachel! Y'all a busy 2013! Thanks for doing the internet a big favor and making your blog public. I am so happy to know you!

Jenny @ Creatively Blooming said...

Happy New Year! Looks like 2013 was a great year for you guys. I'm sure 2014 will be too!

Kate @ Daffodils said...

Happy NEw Year! I am glad you thrived during this deployment

The Chick Nest said...

Happy New Year! So fun celebrating with you guys last night. We have been blessed by getting to know your family better in 2013. I second more date nights in 2014. A few double dates, perhaps?! ;)

The Chick Nest said...

Happy New Year! So fun celebrating with you guys last night. We have been blessed by getting to know your family better in 2013. I second more date nights in 2014. A few double dates, perhaps?! ;)

Post a Comment

 
Content The Ross Family | Design Poppiness Designs