Pages

Monday, March 19, 2012

Pregnancy Update!

I swear this year is flying by! I can't believe that it's been over a month since I've updated anything on this blog! :( Well I am 31 weeks pregnant today (holy moly!) and time continues to fly. We are getting so excited and anxious for the arrival of our little girl. We cleared the extra bedroom out this past weekend and set up the nursery. It's not completely decorated yet but I will put pictures up when it is! :)

So this pregnancy has been more difficult than the one with Brady and in the past weeks it only became more difficult. I went in for my normal 28 week doctor's appointment and everything looked good. At the end of my visit I had to take my 1 hour glucose test and it was not too much of an ordeal. When I was pregnant with Brady I almost fainted during the test but this time besides feeling nauseous from the sugary drink, it went well. The following day they called me and said that I had failed the test. What??! I was pretty devastated because that meant I had to take the 3 hour glucose test. This included fasting for 12 hours, going to the hospital to have my fasting blood sugar level taken, drinking twice the amount of the sugary glucola, and then having my blood drawn once every hour for the next 3 hours. A total of 4 blood draws. Basically torture for a pregnant lady. I did a TON of reading about gestational diabetes and saw that they had recently lowered the numbers and that quite a few women failed the 1 hour and passed the 3 hour test. So honestly, I wasn't too concerned. I'm young, have only gained 12 pounds so far, have no risk factors for diabetes, and didn't have any issues in my previous pregnancy. So when I got the call that I failed my 3 hour test and did indeed have gestational diabetes I was blown away and quite devastated. The next day I met with a diabetes nurse who taught me that this was not my fault, there's nothing that I did (it's the darn placenta's), how to prick my finger 4 times a day, how to manage it with diet and exercise, and that this will go away as soon as the baby and placenta are delivered.

So here we are almost two weeks later and things are going pretty well. I've gotten very used to checking my blood sugar 4 times a day (and my levels have been great so far, thank goodness!). The diet has been a good thing overall although I do miss sweets, but I feel a lot healthier and just a lot better in general. I meet with the high risk ob/gyn on Wednesday for an ultrasound to make sure all is going well with the baby. I just pray the rest of this pregancy goes well and am just trying to be as positive as possible! Here are some belly shots from the past couple of weeks:


Belly shots at 28 weeks
Big belly! Shot from this past weekend (31 weeks). Brady's face cracks me up!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Content The Ross Family | Design Poppiness Designs